So I fixed it.
I got it running. I got the chimes working. I bought replacement glass for the bezel. I put it on a shelf in my office and enjoyed hearing it chime every quarter hour.
I was delighted! This clock was a major victory!
But I wasn't satisfied. Every so often I would try to tweak something or another. I got it to keep time more accurately. I fixed the latch in the back.
But there was still something else and I thought I needed to take the works out of the case one more time. Unfortunately, when I was working to get the hour hand loose, I pulled too hard and some of the pins let loose in the mechanism. Teeth were sheared from the gears! The clock was dead for good!
The perils of perseveration.