(Proverbs 16:5) Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; Though they join forces, none will go unpunished.Just last night at the W.A.Y. (Whipple Avenue Youth) meeting we were talking about pride being the prototypical sin. If we could get a grip on this, think how we would be blessed.
If we were not prideful -
- We wouldn't care what other people thought or about real or imagined slights.
- We would be free from other people's power to manipulate us through flattery or aggression.
- We would not spend any time at pity parties. (They are unpleasant and just tempt us to give in to sin.)
- Our angry outbursts (and revenge fantasies) would be a thing of the past. We could concentrate on driving better ourselves.
- We could give ourselves to promoting God's glory because we wouldn't be worried about our own.
- We could give ourselves to humble service with complete joy and be thoroughly satisfied.
- We would be on God's side - and He would be helping us.
(Proverbs 16:18-19) Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.Jesus is the solution to our pride problem. He condescended from heaven to become a man and die for our sins on the cross. By yielding to Him and giving Him the honor and glory due His name, we find ourselves in the right place... humbly bowing before Him and yielding up all our autonomy Him. Let Jesus rule ME!
19 Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, Than to divide the spoil with the proud.
(1Peter 5:5-7) ¶ Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”Praise God we can throw ourselves on Him! He cares for us better than we could care for ourselves. Besides, He is omnipotent while we are very weak.
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,
7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.